The Guaranteed Ride Home Program insures that those who carpool or vanpool to work always have a way home. Personal or family emergencies, unexpected requirements to work late, carpool or vanpool vehicle breakdowns are all covered by this service.
For more information or to register for this program, please call 877/451-1555 or 758-2311 or click here.
Middle Peninsula Rideshare
Guaranteed Ride Home Program
- Commuters must be officially registered with Middle Peninsula Rideshare for the GRH Program before using the service. Registered commuters are those who have received an official registration letter from Middle Peninsula Rideshare. This registration is separate from the ridematching registration. Registered and one-time exception commuters must be carpooling, vanpooling, taking transit, bicycling, or walking to their site of employment on the day they use the GRH service.
- Commuters who have not been officially registered may use the GRH service one time, providing they meet all other eligibility criteria. This is referred to as a "one-time exception." "One-time Exception Commuters" must call Middle Peninsula Rideshare to receive authorization prior to using the GRH service. "One-time Exception Commuters" will not be reimbursed for trips not authorized by Middle Peninsula Rideshare. Any commuter granted a one-time exception must be officially registered before additional GRH trips are granted.
- Registered commuters may use the GRH program up to four (4) times annually from their official registration date. Commuters who received a one-time exception and then officially register with Middle Peninsula Rideshare may use the GRH program 3 more times within the 12 month period following the date of their one-time exception GRH trip.
- Commuters must re-register annually to maintain their GRH registration. Commuters must contact Middle Peninsula Rideshare to re-register and update their registration information.
- The GRH program may only be used in cases of unexpected personal or family emergency, unexpected illness, or unscheduled overtime. Cases in which the GRH program cannot be used include, but are not limited to the following: previously scheduled medical appointments, personal errands, transit service disruptions and/or delays, business related travel, working late without a supervisor's request, weather emergencies, and any type of building closings or evacuations, and natural acts of God.
- Requests to use the GRH program because of unscheduled overtime must be made before the commuter's registered work end time.
- GRH service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- To be eligible, a commuter must be physically working or living in the Middle Peninsula Region. The Middle Peninsula region includes the counties of Gloucester, Essex, King and Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex and the towns of Tappahannock, Urbanna and West Point.
- All GRH trips must originate from the commuter's work location.
- Middle Peninsula Rideshare will pay for one vendor service per request. Cancellation on the part of the commuter of a GRH trip or no-show by the commuter may count as one of the four annual trips. If the GRH trip is made by taxi, the commuter is responsible for tipping the taxi driver.
- If the GRH trip is made by rental car, the commuter is responsible for signing a standard rental agreement, showing a valid drivers license and proof of insurance, providing a credit card for collateral expenses, returning the rental car within a 24-hour period, and the following charges: gasoline refueling charges, taxes, purchase of insurance (if necessary), additional rental charges if auto is not returned within 24 hours. The commuter will be responsible for any loss or damage to the rental car.
- GRH is a free service provided by Middle Peninsula Rideshare, a program of the Middle Peninsula Planning District Commission (MPPDC). MPPDC will use its best efforts to provide the Guaranteed Ride Home in accordance with the guidelines shown above. By requesting assistance from the Guaranteed Ride Home program, the participant in the program explicitly acknowledges that MPPDC assumes no liability for the timeliness of the GRH participating vendor(s) or any accidents that may occur on the conveyance.
(GRH Participation Guidelines Are Subject To Change Without Notice)